Checklist for Reporting Birth in Algeria to U.S. Citizen Parent(s)


For online CRBA applications, you MUST allow 5 working days between payment and your interview date.

Complete and bring the items on this checklist to your interview.


  • You must bring the originaldocuments, as well as single-sided photocopies. Original documents will be returned to you after your interview.
  • You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. English translations need to be done by a professional translator.
  • The child must attend the interview.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship to their child would not be present at the interview, a complete notarized DS-5507 form is required.

CRBA Checklist

Consular Report of Birth Application

Proof of child’s birth and English translation 

  • Original Algerian birth certificate (Handwritten certificates are not accepted).

Parents’ marriage certificate and English translation 

  • If married in Algeria: An original Algerian marriage certificate issued by the city hall (Handwritten certificates are not accepted).
  • If married in the United States: An original or certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by a city/county/state (church or “bride/groom” copies will not be accepted). Please make sure your certificate has a file date.
  • If married in another country: An original or certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place.

 Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages for both parents and English translation (if applicable)

  • Documentation that shows the termination of a prior marriage can include the original of a death certificate or certified copies of divorce decrees. Divorce decrees must be issued by a court and include an embossed or wet seal. Photocopies sent from a lawyer may not be the original certified copy.

Evidence of parent’s U.S. citizenship

  • A full validity U.S. passport (currently valid or expired)
  • S. birth certificate (should have parents’ names, a seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office – hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240/FS-1350)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Note: all documents must be original– no photocopies.

Evidence of physical presence (can be originals or photocopies)

  • If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, he/she must bring proof of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Primary evidence that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. includes: transcripts from high school and/or college, wage statements, or DD214 Separation Statement (for military members). Secondary evidence can include: credit card bills, utility bills, tax forms, airline ticket stubs, or former/current passport(s) showing immigration stamps. Please note that this list is not exhaustive. If you are unable to provide sufficient evidence, the application may be placed on hold until you submit further documentation.
  • Physical presence in the United States is one of the key requirements to transmit citizenship. For specific information, please see this page.
  • Applicants may encounter difficulties and be required to enter periods abroad with the U.S. Armed Forces or in other U.S. Government employment, even if that’s not applicable. If this is the case, please enter random dates and raise this issue at the time of your appointment. We will help you correct this information.

Proof of relationship

  • If the parents were not marriedat the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (e.g., through passport stamps, military travel orders), as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (e.g., through letters, photos, e-mails).

 Both parents’ IDs

  • S. or foreign passport, U.S. Alien Resident Card (I-551), U.S. driver’s license, or certain foreign government-issued identification.

 Application fee

  • $100 – Payment must be made online once the application is complete.