Location: Throughout Algeria
Event: Saturday, February 22 will mark the one-year anniversary of major protests in Algiers and around the country. Social media indicate calls for an increase in the number protests, possibly including Thursday, Friday and Saturday, as well as an increase in the number of protesters. Although activists continue calling for protestors to remain peaceful and organized, peaceful demonstrations can become violent and a heavy police presence is expected to react quickly to any disturbances. U.S. government personnel are instructed to avoid all areas affected by demonstrations.
Demonstrations are expected to continue to take place throughout the country in the coming weeks. The Embassy will issue future alerts if the security situation changes significantly or there is specific information or an incident which requires additional messaging.
Actions to take:
- Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of demonstrations, even if they appear peaceful.
- Avoid large gatherings and rallying points for demonstrations.
- Monitor media for updates.
- Review personal security plans. For planning resources, go to the following State Department website.
- U.S. Embassy Algiers, Algeria
+213 (0) 770-08-2000
+213 (0) 770-08-2000(after hours)
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Algeria’s Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates