U.S. Educational System
Are you interested in studying in the United States? If so, your first step is to educate yourself about education!
The United States system of higher education is very different from the Algerian system. Below is our primary handout on U.S. higher education. You should use this as your first resource to begin to learn about the process for studying in the United States.
- Algiers Education USA Commonly Asked Questions (PDF 347kb)
We also have a number of detailed guidebooks, in English and in French, which cover everything you need to know about applying to schools and studying in the United States.
|Graduate Study||English: educationusa.info/pdf/study/english2.pdf
|English as a Second Language||English: educationusa.info/pdf/study/english3.pdf
Finally, there is our main EducationUSA webpage which contains general information and our EducationUSA YouTube page which has informative videos and testimony from international students just like you! Also be sure to follow us on Facebook for information on scholarships, participation in student fairs, and presentations on studying at the U.S. Embassy.
How Can EducationUSA Help?
Our EducationUSA advisor is here to help guide students through the process of applying to study in the United States. We offer both information sessions, as well as one on one appointments during office hours at our U.S. Embassy.
EducationUSA also has a number of resources available in our American Cultural Center (ACCA) to help you research colleges and prepare for tests. For information on becoming a member of our ACCA, please see their webpage at: dz.usembassy.gov/education-culture/acca
The U.S. Embassy in Algiers also offers a number of exchange programs that can allow Algerians to visit and study in the United States. These programs include opportunities for young Algerians, students, and professionals. Please see our Exchange Program webpage at:
for information on qualifications, deadlines, and available programs.
Standardized Testing Websites
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- SAT Reasoning and Subject Tests (SAT)
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
- General Management Admission Council (GMAT)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)
- Dental Admission Testing Program (DAT)
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- United States Licensure for International Dentists (ADA)
- Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Commission (FPGEC)
- Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
- General Educational Development (GED)
- ACT Test (ACT)
- Explanation of Accreditation in the USA (ED.gov)
- US Department of Education Accredited Colleges/Universities/Career/Trade Schools Database (OPE.ED.gov)
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) Database of Institutions & Programs Accredited by Recognized US Accrediting Organizations
Search a variety of online databases to find colleges and universities that match your interests. Visit their home pages to get more detailed information.
Please note that not all colleges and universities found in online databases are accredited by one of the regional or national accrediting organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. To verify if a school is accredited by a recognized accrediting body, go to the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) databases listed above under Accreditation.
- Study in the USA
- Peterson’s Educational Portal
- The College Board
- College View
- American Association of Community Colleges
- American Universities
- Web U.S. Higher Education
English Language Programs
Financial Aid and Scholarship
Join the International Exchange Alumni Community, a website for current and emerging leaders who have participated in U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs.
English Language Learning
Teach and learn English as a foreign language, explore American culture and encourage English conversation within the global learning community.