The U.S. Embassy in Algiers is pleased to announce the annual Fulbright competition for Algerian scholars for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government, widely known as the Fulbright Program, is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and those of other countries. With this goal as a starting point, the Fulbright Program has provided more than 300,000 participants—chosen for their leadership potential—with the opportunity to observe each other’s political, economic and cultural institutions, exchange ideas and embark on joint ventures of importance to the general welfare of the world’s inhabitants.
The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 under legislation introduced by former Senator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas. The Fulbright Program is administered by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State. Under the Fulbright Program, thousands of scholars have established professional contacts in their field and made long-lasting friendship with colleagues in the United States; have developed collaborative research relationship with U.S. scholars, and have enhanced their scholarly publications and made other contributions through research conducted in the United States.
The Fulbright Visiting Senior Scholar Award provides an opportunity for Algerian women and men residing in Algeria, who hold a doctorate degree or equivalent professional qualifications, to spend three to six months doing research at a university in the United States. The application requires that the scholar develop a theoretically sound, well written, and feasible proposal. Proposals that demonstrate a commitment to cross-cultural understanding and exchange will be given preference. All candidates must currently be affiliated with one of the universities or research institutions in Algeria.
Special preference will be given to candidates who have the capacity and commitment to take full advantage of a program of research at a U.S. institution, and who are willing to share their experience and knowledge after returning to Algeria. The Fulbright experience should be of value not only to the scholar but also to the scholar’s home university –its students and faculty – as well as to the host U.S. institution. Fulbright scholars serve as cultural ambassadors and should be prepared to speak about their country, culture, and research to academic and community groups.
- Applicant must be citizens of Algeria.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. degree or equivalent professional training or experience;
- Applicants must be proficient in oral and written English appropriate to proposed research project to be carried out in the United States;
- A detailed statement of proposed activity for research at a U.S. institution; and
- Certification of good health.
Note: Persons holding permanent residence in the United States or U.S. citizenship are not eligible to apply.
- Interested applicants who meet the criteria as outlined above should complete the online application
- Detailed project statement of proposed activity for research in the U.S.
- Detailed curriculum vitae;
- Three letters of reference
- Bibliography – for research proposals, a list of one to three pages of references relevant to the proposed research.
- Letter of invitation from a U.S. university or institution – should be typed on institutional letterhead and signed. The letter should also contain the proposed academic year.
- Photocopy of doctoral degree
- Photocopy of passport bio page
Note: Grants are not for the principal purpose of:
- Attending conferences,
- Completing doctoral dissertations,
- Travel and consultation at multiple institutions or
- Clinical medical research involving patient contact.
The submission deadline for the online application is December 6, 2020.
- Fulbright Visiting Senior Scholar Program 2021-2022-Eng (PDF 191kb)
- Instructions ( PDF 720kb)
- Fulbright Visiting Senior Scholar Program 2021-2022 – FR (PDF 181kb)
- Exchange Programs and Deadlines