Official Comic Book Giveaway Rules
“Comic Book Giveaway”
(Open: October 3rd to October 5th
The “Comic Book Giveaway” is managed by the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Embassy Algiers
How to Enter
The contest commences on October 3, 2019 and concludes on October 5, 2019. Winners will be awarded comic books signed by an author or illustrator. Winners will be identified by U.S. Embassy Algiers employees or interns as the first 25 qualified persons in attendance of the events below. All events take place at the Riad Al Fath fairgrounds.
Thursday, Oct. 3, 15:00 – 16:00: “Cartooning and Comics” panel with Alitha Martinez, Chuck Collins, and Paris Cullins. American Pavilion
Thursday, Oct. 3, 16:00 – 17:00: “SalamFandom” panel with Dr. Shamika Mitchell. American Pavilion
Friday, Oct. 4, 16:00 – 18:00: “20th Annual Animation Show of Shows” screening with Academy Award nominee Ron Diamond. Salle des Conferences
Saturday, Oct. 5, 10:00 – 12:00: “80th Anniversary of Batman” with Paris Cullins, Shawn Martinbrough, and N. Steven Harris. Salle des Conferences
Saturday, Oct. 5, 14:30 – 16:00: “Comics: A Global Success” with 13 American comic book artists. Salle des Conference
- Contestants must be at least 18 years old on the date of entry into the contest. Contestants must be Algerian citizens or residing in Algeria in order to be eligible for the prizes. Others are welcome to participate, but will not be considered for prizes. All individuals must be available for picking up their prizes in person at the U.S. Pavilion at FIBDA.
- The individual submitting the entry will be considered the contestant and will be the only individual eligible to compete for the prize. Organizations are not eligible to compete for the prize, either as an entity or through representation by an individual. In order to be eligible for the prize, the contestant must provide complete and accurate information.
- The following individuals are not eligible to participate in the contest: Employees, interns, directors, and officers of the U.S. Government, or any employees, interns, directors, or officers of any agencies, companies or entities involved in the administration, advertising, judging, creation, development, execution, and/or fulfillment of this contest, and the immediate family members (defined as spouse, recognized partner, parent, child, sibling, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such individual.
Selection of Winners
- Winners will be identified by U.S. Embassy Algiers employees or interns as the first 25 qualified persons in attendance of the events above. Winners and finalists may be announced on the Embassy website and/or social media pages. Winners and finalists may choose to use an alias instead of their real name and may request other identifying information be kept private.
- Winners choose one (1) signed comic book as their prize among the comic books available at the U.S. pavilion at FIBDA.
Liability and Rights
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right at any time, to verify the validity of entries and of contestants and to disqualify any contestant or entry deemed not in compliance with these Official Contest Rules. Contest Sponsors also reserve the right to request further documentation, at their sole and absolute discretion, to verify eligibility and compliance with these Official Contest Rules.
- If a prize or any portion thereof is unavailable, Contest Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value and/or specification.
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the contest at their discretion for any reason.
- Contestant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Contest Sponsors, their parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, employees, interns, and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debts, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from (i) violation of these Official Contest Rules; (ii) violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, intellectual property, privacy, publicity, or other proprietary right in connection with the contest; or (iii) any claim that a contest submission caused any harm, including financial, to any third party. These indemnification and hold harmless obligations will survive indefinitely beyond the conclusion of the contest.
- By entering a submission you agree that if you engage in any physical exercise or activity you do so at your own risk and assume the risk of any and all injury, damage, or death that you may suffer while engaging in the activity. Your assumption for risk includes and is not limited to the actual activity, but includes any and all negative effects that may be the result of the activity. You agree that you are voluntarily participating in the aforementioned activities and assume all risk of injury. You agree to release and discharge the sponsors, affiliates, or partners from any and all claims or causes of action (known or unknown) arising from participation.
- The conduct, judging, and awarding of prizes will be carried out in full compliance with applicable U.S. law and host country law. In the event of a conflict between U.S. law and host country law, U.S. law shall apply.
- Contest Sponsors and the U.S. Government will take reasonable measures to protect privacy data, personally identifiable information, and other sensitive data of contestants.
- Contest Sponsors assume no liability or responsibility for any loss or harm resulting from any user’s participation in or attempt to participate in the contest or ability or inability to upload, download, or otherwise access any information in connection with participating in the contest. Contest Sponsors assume no responsibility or liability for technical problems, or technical malfunctions arising in connection with the operation of the contest, including: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity, or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the contest site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the contest site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the contest.
- Use of contest site is at user’s own risk. Contest Sponsors are not responsible for any personal injury, property damage, or losses of any kind which may be sustained to computer equipment resulting from participation in the contest, use of the contest site or the downloading of information from the contest site. By participating in the contest, the contestant releases Contest Sponsors from any and all claims arising from or relating to such contestant’s participation in the contest, whether directly or indirectly.
- Contest Sponsors are not liable in the event that any portion of the contest is cancelled or delayed due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other reason.
Privacy Act Statement
- PURPOSE: The information solicited on this website will be used to evaluate and process submissions to the Comic Book Giveaway and determine the eligibility of entrants.
- ROUTINE USES: The information submitted to this website is collected on behalf of the U.S. Department of State, and might be subject to the Privacy Act of 1974. The winner’s information may also be made available to the public. More information on the Routine Uses for the system can be found in the System of Records Notice STATE-79, Digital Outreach and Communications.
- DISCLOSURE: Providing this information is voluntary. Failure to provide the information requested on this website may result in ineligibility for the Comic Book Giveaway .