Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

When a child is born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, the citizen parent(s) may be able to transmit U.S. citizenship to that child at birth.  For children born in wedlock to two U.S. citizen parents, the parents only need to provide proof that at least one parent resided in the U.S. prior to the birth.  If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, the citizen parent must show that s/he resided in the U.S. for at least five years (including two years after the age of 14) prior to the birth of the child.  For children born out of wedlock, or prior to November 1986, please see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad.

Children who acquire U.S. citizenship by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen receive a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  See below for applying for a CRBA.  Once you have obtained a CRBA, you can apply for a passport for your child and a Social Security number. 

Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen  

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, at least one parent/guardian and the child must appear at the U.S. Embassy.

The following original documents must be presented, along with translations into English by a sworn translator.

  1. Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.  Please complete the information requested in section A of form DS-2029(PDF 4.1 MB).  Number 24, regarding parents’ physical presence in the United States, is particularly important and should be carefully reconstructed and documented for the U.S. citizen parent(s), prior to going to the embassy for your appointment.  Please use additional sheets of paper if necessary.  Section B is only completed when requested by the Consular officer at the Embassy.  (If the child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father and a non-U.S. citizen mother, and the father is not present for the application, he should complete DS-5507 Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage, and Support and sign in the presence of a consular officer or U.S. notary.) 
  1. One 5 cm x 5 cm (2 in x 2 in) photograph. See Photo RequirementsLocal photography shops can provide the appropriate type photos.
  1. Original Algerian birth certificate (12S) for the childissued by the Algerian government.  (Ensure that the name shown on the birth certificate is how you want it to appear on the U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.)  Please also provide a photocopy so that the original document can be returned to you. 
  1. Parents’ original marriage certificate(if the parents are married).  Please also provide a photocopy so that the original document can be returned to you. 
  1. Evidence of termination of previous marriagesif applicable, such as divorce decree or death certificate (certified copies). 
  1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship for one or both parents:  U.S. passport, original birth certificate, or naturalization certificate.  Please also provide a photocopy so that the original document can be returned to you. 
  1. Photo identification for both parents:  U.S. or foreign passport, U.S. Alien Resident Card (I-551), U.S. driver’s license, or certain foreign government-issued identification.  Please also provide a photocopy so that the original document can be returned to you. 
  1. Evidence of physical presence in the United States:For children born after November 1986 to just one U.S. citizen parent, the citizen parent must show that s/he physically resided in the U.S. for at least five years (including two years after the age of 14) prior to the birth of the child.  This is the actual time when the parent was physically within the borders of the United States. This means that any travel outside the United States, including vacation, should be excluded.  Maintaining a residence in the U.S. does not constitute physical presence.  (However, service abroad with the U.S. government/military does count toward physical presence.)  Evidence of physical presence in the U.S. could include school transcripts, payroll statements for jobs in the United States, apartment/house rental payments, bank statements showing transactions in the U.S., or other evidence.  You must account for at least five years of residency.  Tax returns or Social Security statements of income are not sufficient to demonstrate presence. 
  1. Evidence of maternity/paternity:  The consular officer may require additional evidence of the blood relationship between the child and the parents listed on the birth certificate. When you attend your appointment, please bring the mother’s pre-natal medical records including sonograms, the hospital’s birth certificate, a doctor’s signed statement attesting to pre-natal treatment, or other evidence.  In addition, bring evidence that the father was in the country with the mother at the time of conception. 
  1. Payment of application fee: $100, or the equivalent in Algerian dinar, payable in cash. 

Submitting the Application

Once you have all of the above, please either scan and email the documents to, or mail the documents (but not the payment) to us at:  

U.S. Embassy
05 Chemin Cheikh Bachir Ibrahimi
El-Biar 16030
Alger, Algeria 

We will review the documents provided within a week of receipt and notify you when your appointment is scheduled.  You will make payment when you attend your appointment. 

Replacing a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen

If you need to replace a lost U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please follow these on-line instructions.

Generally, immediate family members may accompany passport or CRBA applicants to their appointment interviews at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and all minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.  Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney at their appointment interview.  Attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant is subject to the following parameters designed to ensure an orderly appointment interview process and to maintain the integrity of the adjudication of the application(s):

  • Given space limitations in the consular section, not more than one attendee at a time will be allowed to accompany an applicant (or the applicant’s parent or guardian if the applicant is a minor).
  • Attendance by an attorney does not excuse the applicant and/or the minor applicant’s parent or guardian from attending the appointment interview in person.
  • The manner in which a passport or CRBA appointment interview is conducted, and the scope and nature of the inquiry, shall at all times be at the discretion of the consular officer, following applicable Departmental guidance.
  • It is expected that attorneys will provide their clients with relevant legal advice prior to, rather than at, the appointment interview, and will advise their clients prior to the appointment interview that the client will participate in the appointment interview with minimal assistance.
  • Attorneys may not engage in any form of legal argumentation during the appointment interview and before the consular officer.
  • Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions.
  • To the extent that an applicant does not understand a question, s/he should seek clarification from the consular officer directly.
  • The consular officer has sole discretion to determine the appropriate language(s) for communication with the applicant, based on the facility of both officer and applicant and the manner and form that best facilitate communication between the consular officer and the applicant.  Attendees may not demand that communications take place in a particular language solely for the benefit of the attendee.  Nor may attendees object to or insist on the participation of an interpreter in the appointment interview, to the qualifications of any interpreter, or to the manner or substance of any translation.
  • No attendee may coach or instruct applicants as to how to answer a consular officer’s question.
  • Attendees may not object to a consular officer’s question on any ground (including that the attendee regards the question to be inappropriate, irrelevant, or adversarial), or instruct the applicant not to answer a consular officer’s question.  Attendees may not interfere in any manner with the consular officer’s ability to conduct all inquiries and fact-finding necessary to exercise his or her responsibilities to adjudicate the application.
  • During a passport or CRBA appointment interview, attendees may not discuss or inquire about other applications.
  • Attendees may take written notes, but may not otherwise record the appointment interviews.
  • Attendees may not engage in any other conduct that materially disrupts the appointment interview.  For example, they may not yell at or otherwise attempt to intimidate or abuse a consular officer or staff, and they may not engage in any conduct that threatens U.S. national security or the security of the embassy or its personnel.  Attendees must follow all security policies of the Department of State and the U.S. embassy or consulate where the appointment interview takes place.

Attendees may not engage in any conduct that violates this policy and/or otherwise materially disrupts the appointment interview.  Failure to observe these parameters will result in a warning to the attendee and, if ignored, the attendee may be asked to leave the appointment interview and/or the premises, as appropriate.  It would then be the applicant’s choice whether to continue the appointment interview without the attendee present, subject to the consular officer’s discretion to terminate the appointment interview.  The safety and privacy of all applicants awaiting consular services, as well as of consular and embassy personnel, is of paramount consideration.