Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consuls can assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances.  Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family members, friends, banks, or employers to arrange for transfer of funds.  In some cases, these funds can be wired through the U.S. Department of State.  See the Department’s information on sending money overseas.