International Parental Child Abduction

Preventing Child Abduction

See our information on Preventing Parental Child Abduction, including the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program.

Abductions in progress

If your child is currently being abducted from or to the United States, please call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services (1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. & Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from abroad).  You may also contact the U.S. Embassy in Algiers, including after hours, to speak with a duty officer.

Ongoing abductions cases

See U.S. Department of State’s information on Abductions to and from the United States.

Algeria is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Algeria and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.  Nevertheless, you may contact the U.S. Embassy in Algiers ( for further assistance, such as checking on the welfare of your child.