Please follow the instructions on this page if you are age 16 or older and have a prior U.S. passport. Your replacement passport will be valid for 10 years.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Most recent U.S. passport. Your current passport will be cancelled and returned to you when you receive the new book.
- Passport application: Complete and print the application using the on-line Passport Wizard. The Wizard will help you complete the correct form – either the DS-11 or DS-82. (See “Fees” below for explanation of difference.) It must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do not print this form on the front and back of the same sheet. You should not sign the passport application until you appear at the U.S. Embassy. Applicants aged 16 and over must sign their own application.
- Photo: One color 5 cm x 5 cm (2 in x 2 in) photograph
- Fees: The fee, payable in cash (either in U.S. dollars or Algerian dinars), will depend on whether you must submit the DS-11 or DS-82 passport form. The fee for the DS-11 form is $165.00. The fee for the DS-82 passport is $130.00. You may use the DS-82 form if all of the following about your last U.S. passport are true:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application.
- It was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- It was issued within the last 15 years.
- Other documents that may be required:
- Name change documentation: If you have changed your name since your last passport was issued, you will be required to furnish name change documentation, e.g., your original marriage certificate or court order showing your name change.
- Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in.
- Your foreign (non U.S.) naturalization certificate: If you have acquired another nationality through naturalization or registration since the issuance of your proof of citizenship.
Requesting an appointment
Once you have all of the above, please request an appointment on-line. If the on-line system is unavailable, please request an appointment by writing to ACSAlgiers@state.gov.
Processing Time / Pick-up
Once your application is complete and approved, your new passport will be printed in the United States and sent to the U.S. Embassy in Algiers. You should allow two to three weeks for your application to be processed, and you will receive an email when your passport is ready for pick-up. You may designate in writing to have someone pick up the passport on your behalf.
If you have emergency travel and cannot wait for a full-validity passport to be printed in the United States, see our information on Emergency passports.