Lost and Stolen Passports

If your passport is lost or stolen, you should report its disappearance to the local police.  We also ask that you make an appointment with us as soon as possible so that you can report your passport as missing and apply for a replacement.  If you are unable to come to the Embassy immediately, please send us an email (ACSAlgiers@state.gov) so that we may electronically cancel the passport, thereby preventing an impostor from misusing it.  Please note that if you report a passport as lost, it is electronically cancelled, meaning you cannot use it again if you subsequently find/recover it. 

Reporting a lost or stolen passport  / Applying for a Replacement

  • The police report is required by the Embassy, and you may need the police report when departing Algeria, since you will no longer have the prior passport showing entry into Algeria.
  • Complete and print theStatement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (Form DS-64). (PDF 51 KB)
  • Follow the instructions for passport renewal, including making an appointment.  We recognize that given the circumstances, you may no longer possess the usual evidence of citizenship and identity.  If you are unable to present photo identification, you should bring a relative, friend or traveling companion (preferably a family member) who has known you for over two years and who can present a valid, preferably U.S., passport, and who is able to submit a sworn statement confirming your identity.

Please note that replacement passports can only be issued during working hours except in life or limb emergencies.  If you have urgent travel, please see our instructions for Emergency Passports.