Minor Renewal Passport

Please follow the instructions on this page if your child is under age 16 and has a prior U.S. passport.  The child must appear at the passport application appointment.  The replacement passport will be valid for 5 years.

Application Requirements

Please bring the following to your appointment:

  1. Most recent U.S. PassportYour current passport will be cancelled and returned to you when you receive the new book.
  2. Evidence of Parental Relationship

You must submit evidence that lists you as the parent of the child applying for a passport.  Examples of documents that may be used as evidence of parental relationship are:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  1. Proof of identity for the applying parents– one of the following original documents:
  • Valid passport of any country
  • Valid U.S. driver’s license with photograph
  • Valid U.S. or State government ID card
  • U.S. military ID card
  • Foreign national identity card with photograph
  1. Passport application:  Complete and print the application using the on-line Passport Wizard, which will help you to complete the DS-11 form.  It must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do not print this form on the front and back of the same sheet.  You should not sign the passport application until you appear at the U.S. Embassy.
  1. Parental Consent

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.  Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child.  If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 passport application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent (PDF 52 KB) from the non-applying parent/guardian – done within three months prior to the application.  (Forms notarized overseas must be done at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.)

If the child only has one parent, the applying parent should submit evidence, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree listing only one parent, or a death certificate for the non-applying parent.  Otherwise, evidence of sole authority to apply for the child must be submitted with the application in the form of an original version (not photocopy) of:

  • A court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless the child’s travel is restricted by that order).
  • A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport.
  • A judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent.
  • Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent Circumstances – Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under age 16(PDF 43 KB) submitted by the applying parent if the other parent is absent and cannot be located to provide parental consent in a timely manner.
  1. Photo:  One color 5 cm x 5 cm (2 in x 2 in) photograph
  1. Fees: $135.00, payable in cash (either in U.S. dollars or Algerian dinars) 

Requesting an appointment

Once you have all of the above, please request an appointment on-line.  If the on-line system is unavailable, please request an appointment by writing to ACSAlgiers@state.gov. 

Processing Time / Pick-up

Once your application is complete and approved, your new passport will be printed in the United States and sent to the U.S. Embassy in Algiers.  You should allow two to three weeks for your application to be processed, and you will receive an email when your passport is ready for pick-up.  You may designate in writing to have someone pick up the passport on your behalf.

If you have emergency travel and cannot wait for a full-validity passport to be printed in the United States, see our information on Emergency passports.