Please follow the instructions on this page if your child is under age 16 and has a prior U.S. passport. The child must appear at the passport application appointment. The replacement passport will be valid for 5 years.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Most recent U.S. Passport. Your current passport will be cancelled and returned to you when you receive the new book.
- Evidence of Parental Relationship
You must submit evidence that lists you as the parent of the child applying for a passport. Examples of documents that may be used as evidence of parental relationship are:
- U.S. birth certificate
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Foreign birth certificate
- Adoption decree
- Proof of identity for the applying parents – one of the following original documents:
- Valid passport of any country
- Valid U.S. driver’s license with photograph
- Valid U.S. or State government ID card
- U.S. military ID card
- Foreign national identity card with photograph
- Passport application: Complete and print the application using the on-line Passport Wizard, which will help you to complete the DS-11 form. It must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do not print this form on front and back of the same sheet. You should not sign the passport application until you appear at the U.S. Embassy.
- Parental Consent
Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents/guardians should appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 passport application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent (PDF 52 KB) from the non-applying parent/guardian – done within three months prior to the application. (Forms notarized overseas must be done at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate)
If the child only has one parent, the applying parent should submit evidence, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree listing only one parent, or a death certificate for the non-applying parent. Otherwise, evidence of sole authority to apply for the child must be submitted with the application in the form of an original version (not photocopy) of:
- Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
- A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport
- Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
If one parent is absent and cannot be located to provide parental consent in a timely manner, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent Circumstances – Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under age 16 (PDF 43 KB)
- Photo: One color 5 cm x 5 cm (2in x 2in) photograph
- Fees: $105.00, payable in cash (either U.S. dollar or dinar)
Requesting an appointment
Processing Time / Pick-up
Once your application is complete and approved, your new passport will be printed in the United States and sent to the U.S. Embassy in Algiers. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed, and you will receive an email when your passport is ready for pick-up. You may designate in writing to have someone pick up the passport on your behalf.
If you have emergency travel and cannot wait for a full-validity passport to be printed in the United States, see our information on Emergency passports.