A passport issued with a data error (e.g., name, sex, or place of birth) or printing error (e.g., data is missing on the biographical page, discoloration, crooked printing) can be corrected at no charge if the passport is still valid and the fault was that of the U.S. Embassy.
To correct a data or printing error:
- You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees.
- Complete and print Form DS-5504(follow link for “Updating or Correcting Passport Information”). Although it asks for a mailing address, because you are overseas your new passport will be sent to the U.S. Embassy in Algiers.
- You will also need to provide:
- Your current passport
- Evidence of the error (e.g., your U.S. birth certificate showing the correct spelling of your last name)
- Color passport photo
- The requirements for replacement passports apply to both adults and minors.
- If reported within one yearof issuance, a new, corrected passport will be issued, which will be valid for 10 years from the issuance date the new, correct book.
- If reported after one year of issuance, the new, corrected passport will be valid until the expiration date of the original, incorrect passport.
Requesting an appointment
Once you have all of the above, please request an appointment on-line. If the on-line system is unavailable, please request an appointment by writing to ACSAlgiers@state.gov.
Processing Time / Pick-up
Once your application is complete and approved, your new passport will be printed in the United States and sent to the U.S. Embassy in Algiers. You should allow two to three weeks for your application to be processed, and you will receive an email when your passport is ready for pick-up. You may designate in writing to have someone pick up the passport on your behalf.