The U.S. Embassy is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime in Algeria. Your first step should be to contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help. Request a copy of the police report.
What we can do to help
- Explain how and where you can report the crime to local law enforcement officials;
- Help you find appropriate medical care if you are injured;
- Assist you with emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime, such as finding shelter, food, or clothing;
- Help you contact your family, friends, or employer, if you wish;
- Help you replace a lost/stolen passport;
- Provide you with general information about the criminal justice process in Algeria;
- Provide you with alist of attorneys practicing in Algeria;
- Provide you with information about crime victim assistance resources in your state of residence, if you are returning to the United States.
What we cannot do
- Provide legal advice or represent you in court;
- Pay legal fees or other expenses for you;
- Request preferential treatment for U.S. citizens during legal proceedings in Algeria.