Absentee Voting for U.S. Citizens

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) guarantees United States citizens overseas the right to vote in federal elections in the United States.  Be an active voter.  All U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically.  Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. 

Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) Overseas Citizen Voter webpage.  You can use the Federal Post Card Application to register and request a ballot from your home state.  Registration must be done each calendar year.  The on-line Voting Assistance Guide provides state-by-state voting procedures, deadlines, and addresses.  States can now send the ballot to you electronically, so be sure to provide an email address on your registration request.

Returning Your Completed, Signed Ballot:  Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically and others do not.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, professional courier service, or through the U.S. Embassy Algiers. 

If you are sending your ballot through the U.S. Embassy Algiers, ballots can be dropped off at the main entrance to the Embassy during business hours.  You will be requested to show evidence of your U.S. citizenship, such as your U.S. passport.  Ballots must be placed in postage paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient U.S. domestic postage so they may be delivered to the proper local election authorities (NOTE: postage from Algeria to the United States is not required using this method).  Please note that it can take up to four weeks for mail to reach its destination if sent through the Embassy.  All overseas U.S. citizens are advised to submit their forms and ballots accordingly.

Please note that all visitors to the Embassy are subject to security screening.

Important Note:  Embassies and Consulates are not polling places.  Same day in-person voting is not available outside the United States.

If you still have questions or need assistance, please contact U.S. Embassy Algiers Voting Assistance Officer at

Educate yourself on issues before you vote.  Some resources include: