The Immigration Act of 1990 established the Diversity Visa (DV) program, where 55,000 immigrant visas would be available in an annual lottery, starting in fiscal year 1995. The lottery aims to diversify the immigrant population in the United States, by selecting applicants mostly from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States in the previous five years.
To apply for a diversity visa, follow the steps on the Diversity Visa Process on usvisas.state.gov. Once you have completed those steps, review the instructions given to you by the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC), along with the information presented on this website, for further guidance and instructions.
- Check your DV application status using the Entry Status Check function on the E-DV website.
Entrants must have their confirmation number to access information through Entry Status Check, which will be the sole means by which Diversity Visa entrants are notified of their selection, provided instructions on how to proceed with their application, and notified of their immigrant visa interview appointment date and time. Consular Section will not provide result to DV applicant.
- DV winners will be notified of their interview appointment dates by the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) once scheduled.
- Prepare the required documents
- Create an account at www.ustraveldoc.com/dz before your visa appointment.
- Schedule a medical examination with the Embassy-approved physician in Algiers (PDF 628 KB) at least 15 days before your visa interview
- If the visa is issued, your passport and documents will be available in approximately 7-10 business days at Aramex office that you already selected for pick up or delivery.
- If the visa is refused, the Consular Officer will provide you with further information.